Employees have numerous important rights under the law, and an employer’s ignorance of those rights can lead it to ruin. The Ross Law Firm aims to help its business clients understand their legal obligations and avoid (or resolve) employment disputes. When disputes can be neither avoided nor resolved, however, the Firm is ready and able to litigate on their clients’ behalf.
Employee lawsuits can be devastating to a business. Of course, the business might have to pay the cost of a judgment or settlement. Regardless of whether the employer ultimately prevails, however, it will have spent attorneys’ fees. In addition, time spent dealing with employee claims can cause substantial disruption of business, loss of productivity, and decrease in the morale of non-litigant employees. That’s why the Ross Law Firm is a strong believer in the axiom, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Toward that end, the Firm works closely with its clients to ensure that they are in compliance with applicable state and federal laws that exist for the employees’ protection and routinely provides these preventative services:
- Strategies, preparation and negotiations relating to:
- Employment contracts
- Restrictive covenants (such as non-competition agreements and non-solicitation agreements)
- Severance agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Personal service contracts
- Design, audit and/or refining of employee handbooks (employment policy manuals)
- Consultation regarding employment practices, such as:
- Hiring practices
- Conducting interviews
- Employee training
- Vacations, timesheets, overtime
- Employee complaints and disputes
- Preventative and remedial training (educating clients and client personnel to recognize and understand legal issues) related to sexual harassment and other types of unlawful discrimination
- Investigation of complaints of sexual harassment and other types of unlawful discrimination
- Counseling in anticipation of or resolving employment-related claims or disputes
In addition, other employment–related issues may arise in the workplace and necessitate consultation on an as-needed basis:
- Counseling regarding independent contractors
- Consultation regarding controversial issues, such as:
- Workplace substance abuse and employee drug testing
- Internet use, office email and employee privacy
- Counseling regarding wage and hour issues and disputes (e.g., paid time off, back pay, overtime)
- Consultation regarding departing employees, including:
- Protection of trade secrets and other intellectual property
- Pre-departure duty of loyalty
- Establishing or auditing legal compliance programs (such as family and medical leave compliance) and other compliance issues
To explore further how the Ross Law Firm can help to protect the security of your business and prevent liability in employment matters, please contact us.
Employment-Related Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Dave, I want to thank you for all the work you did on my case. Your prompt actions and skillful handling brought the perfect results. You were very detail-oriented and always prepared with an exceptional understanding of my case. You continually exhibited tremendous amounts of knowledge and skills in employment laws and other areas that ultimately resulted in my favor. I can never thank you enough. You exceeded my expectations. And I will always recommend you to anyone who might benefit from your great service! – I.L.
Notwithstanding our focus on preventing or minimizing employer-clients’ exposure to costly litigation and administrative employment-related claims, we stand ready to litigate vigorously on our client’s behalf when an employment dispute cannot be resolved successfully.
Mr. Ross has represented employment law clients with regard to the following claims (among others):
- Wrongful discharge
- Unlawful discrimination
- Sexual harassment
- Non-payment of overtime wages
- Wrongful termination
- Retaliatory discharge
- Violations of restrictive covenants such as non-compete agreements, non-solicitation agreements, and confidentiality agreements
The Ross Law Firm works to protect its clients’ interests and to resolve employment-related disputes through settlement negotiations (before or after suit has been filed) and representation at mediation.
Contact us for more information on how the Ross Law Firm can put its employment law experience to work for you.